|Public School Confirmation Class is a joint effort of Grades 7-8 students who do not attend Friedens Lutheran School, their parents and the Friedens pastors. With the number of public school confirmation students Friedens has –and with family schedules varying so much—it has proven nearly impossible to find one day and time when every student can attend class. As a result, lessons are not taught by the Friedens pastors in person. Instead online videos, prepared by former Bethany pastor, Rev. Kevin Hundley, take students through each lesson step-by-step. They provide explanations for each important teaching of the Bible and every part of the confirmation lessons. This in-home study allows students and their families to find a convenient time to work their way through each lesson independently.
This brief overview of the Public School Confirmation Class may not answer all your questions. Please feel free to contact Pastor Gorte with any questions or concerns you might have about the program.
- The 2017-2018 Public School Confirmation Schedule is available here.
- A brief introductory meeting and material handout will take place September 13 in the meeting room at 4:30pm..
- All lessons are to be completed by the Wednesday due date. Students and their parents will meet with one of the Friedens pastors on a Wednesday for each of the six unit reviews (October 18, November 29, January 17, February 21, March 28, & April 25).
- The online videos for the 2017-2018 Public School Confirmation Courses are available here.
- Students will be provided with a student workbook.
- Parents will be provided with a parent binder. The parent binder is essentially the teachers’ guide, and it includes two sections: 1) a copy of Luther’s Small Catechism, from which memory work will be assigned; 2) a leaders’ guide to the student workbook with answers provided.
- Parents are expected to make sure that their child is watching the online videos and filling out the workbook. At the end of each lesson, parents are asked to go over the review section of the lesson to prepare their child for the lesson quiz.
- Once parents believe their child is ready for the quiz, they can find it here. Once the child has completed the quiz, they will click submit.
- After each unit of lessons, students and their parents will meet as a group with one of the Friedens pastors to get any questions answered and to allow each student to complete a brief unit review so that the pastors can test the students’ knowledge and understanding. The dates for these unit reviews are listed above.